A blog about the things I make and modify, with occasional thrift purchases that I am especially proud of. Some things I make to hopefully sell, others I just want to show off, but the right price will take anything--shoot me an email if you are interested!

Saturday, June 1, 2013

A Special Birthday Cake

My wife asked for either a yellow cake with chocolate frosting, or an ice cream cake. I hardly do any cooking or baking (I make a mean omelet, but that's the extent of my abilities). I do, however, tend to get a bit carried away with my DIY projects, and this was no different. I decided to make both cakes at once, as a surprise. Erin even asked if I was just making a boxed cake, assuming I might try to go made from scratch, but she guessed wrong!

I went with a box of fudge marble yellow cake mix, chocolate frosting, chocolate peanut butter ice cream (her favorite), with  Reese's (her favorite) and Butterfinger (just to keep the peanut butter theme going).

Since the ice cream was already soft from the hot car-ride, I stuck it right in a cake pan lined with parchment paper then stuck it back in the freezer to harden with a layer of mashed up Reese's on top. This was flipped onto the bottom layer and sandwiched under the top layer to give cake-->Reese's-->ice cream-->cake-->frosting (sprinkled with crushed Butterfinger). Icing the sides with soft ice-cream was hard, but I got it done.

Here are the two cake halves at home before the addition of ice cream.
Here is the finished product. I wish I'd taken a few more pictures in between, but I was a bit busy and doing this all in steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...